Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Fleeing Dream

A discussion board post in one of my courses today reminded me of an interesting medieval profession. The role of a bard was to observe conversations about great events, accomplishments, and fairy tales. Then a bard would convert those stories into song and would travel from place to place collecting and singing these songs. Although it was not usually considered an honor, or a privilege to be a bard they certainly served an important purpose: to pass along the history, legends, and stories that he had learned from his teacher, and during his travels.

I feel like the work that I complete as a student is a little similar to the way bards collected and related information. My work involves observing those around me in different environments. Recognizing the ways that they interact, what is important to them, what their goals are, and what they have accomplished. I am not merely stalking people like a mad scientist, but attempting to find ways to better communicate with people in a natural and respectful manner.

One of the examples that was given in class was that of a missionary who set out to write music for an indigenous people. He went and accomplished what he set out to do, but later found out that the people refused to sing these songs. The fact of the matter was that they were offensive because the man did not take into account that their language was tonal. This means that the meaning of a word can change drastically depending on emphasis and inflection. Good try sir...Epic Fail---apparently he had the people singing that God did not care about them.

With my study and experience learning about Japanese customs I have even found that we are often guilty of these sort of errors. Lucky for the foreigner that the Japanese are just happy that we are attempting to speak their language. However, there are always little nuances that could get us into trouble.

My position in this is to find a way to bridge these gaps on both the American, and the Japanese side in order to improve business relations within the international music industry. There is definitely a demand on both sides for cultural exchange, but these exciting dreams are constantly being crushed because of poor marketing, poor planning, and stereotypes. (Believe it or not there is a consumer market for Japanese music in America that is not related to the Otaku demographic-although they are consumers.)

Questions that I will have to answer may include:

*How do we convince people to explore music that is performed in languages other than their native tongue?

* How can we better market Japanese music to an American audience?

*How do we invite potential fans to become educated about Japanese culture, history, and language?

*In exchange how can we better promote American music to a Japanese audience?

*How could we better explain American-style audience participation to Japanese fans...and what is the best way to get them involved?

*How do we invite Japanese fans to become educated about American culture, history, and language?

*As a Seminary student you are a Christian. What does this have to do with cultural exchange?

*How do you plan to serve God through your goals?

Maybe I am a little bit like a modern day bard in that my goal is to learn about different histories, legends, and languages. Then I am working towards becoming a professor so that I can teach these things to upcoming generations of students going into both musical, and cultural professions; onto the missions field. Like a bard I will go and learn many things and make a difference along the way to helping people better understand each other. Then I will settle in and prepare others to do likewise.....isn't this also part of what discipleship is all about?

My goal in ministry is to become part of the communities that I live in, and to build relationships. Through these relationships I will simply be who I am. I love discussing the dreams that God has given me, and I have many interests that I love to talk about. The way that I evangelize, and disciple others best is through my natural relationships with them. I enjoy spending time with people and getting to know them. Knowing them and being able to teach, encourage, or support someone when they need it, whether it is a physical or a spiritual need. That is discipleship, and that is my purpose in life. The beautiful thing is that no matter what God calls me to do or where He directs me to go I am always able to serve Him.

Anyways, this is part of what my dreams are all about...don't give up on your dreams when you see them running away. If God has asked you to pursue them...Chase them down relentlessly and put your whole heart into it-knowing that in this...you are also honoring God. God promised that he would see your purpose through to it's completion in Psalm 91. God does not change His mind. Trust Him.

I'm not there yet and there is some school and financial needs in my future, but God has promised to see this through. It is a privilege to serve God and an honor to be an encouragement to those around me. What is your dream?

All the best,

Ashley Watts


No comments:

Post a Comment