Sunday, May 27, 2012

Like a Palm in a Storm

       When I started writing this evening I was thinking about thunderstorms. I absolutely love thunderstorms; the more fearsome the better. Lately some life-storms have come and try to tear me down and it seems like I am bending and moving carefully to avoid disaster. Strategically diving and moving in order for the best possible outcomes to result.

     Then in my mind I was watching a storm on the beach with palms swaying with the wind. It occurred to me that this was how I felt...like a palm standing against a storm. In a stream of consciousness after that I completed a little bit of research to see how palms really react to storms.

      The fascinating thing about palms is their strength. Did you know that a palm tree can withstand winds approaching 145 miles per hour? I never really paid particular attention to the behavior of palm trees during hurricanes. I was more interested in trying to figure out how, whatever brave reporter who had ventured into the fray, was able to stand up at all. (Has anyone else ever noticed that they always attempt to carry an umbrella that blows away inside-out? I digress...) For some reason, I also never noticed that the Bible had anything to say about palm trees until tonight.

Fellow blogger Jayson posted the following in regards to palm tree references:

       "The palm tree bends but it won’t break. Monsoon storms and hurricanes can blow most trees away, but not the palm tree. It’s flexible. It can bend all the way to the ground, and when the storm is over it straightens up again and is actually stronger. You were made to bend, not break. God promises to give you ‘…strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy’ (Colossians 1:11). The unfolding of God’s amazing plan for your life will happen as you show your ability to endure."

and a reference to:

PSALM 92:12-14 

Which is:

12 The righteous thrive like a palm tree
and grow like a cedar tree in Lebanon.
13 Planted in the house of the Lord,
they thrive in the courts of our God.
14 They will still bear fruit in old age,
healthy and green, 


(Holman Christian Standard Bible)


I know that even if I lose something as essential as a leaf is to a palm. Like this tree I am sure to work around that loss for a time. The greatest thing is knowing that even if something important is lost it will grow back; better and stronger than before.

God is continually providing for my husband and I as he has promised us. We have a home, food, and clothing as clearly promised and more. We have family and friends who love and pray for us on a regular basis, and us for them I assure you. We may appear to be crazy, but I have never been happier than when I am serving God. This service enables me to not only know myself and the things I need to change in my life. But also allows me the opportunity to impact others on  personal level. Even if it looks like I have nothing to give you I promise that there is something that I can provide-spiritual support. 

Are you afraid of anything? Are you dead inside and feel as if you have lost hope? Do you have a dream? If so are you pursuing your dream? Do you know what your fate beyond death is? Do you know who you are? Do you feel like there is no where you belong?

There is power in prayer-I promise you that God answers your prayers. We have to be aware that sometimes that answer is yes and sometimes no, but no prayer is left incomplete. There is no sincere prayer that goes unanswered. Pray for protection, direction, peace, or even for a sign if that is what you need. If you believe that Jesus is the only way to be rescued then ask him to rescue you! He is waiting for you to say the words....there is nothing too wicked that you can do to drive Him away. People sin, and salvation does not prevent anyone from committing sin in the future. The difference is that God forgives the sin of those who accept Jesus as their rescuer, and if you listen for His voice he will teach you how to overcome the sin in your life every day. You will not be rejected, and you will not be forgotten. No matter who you have encountered, anyone, including some Christians-even if they have ridiculed you....God loves you unconditionally. 

I would be happy to pray for you-whatever your needs or questions are-I would be happy to support you in that way. Just ask. If being in the middle of a storm has taught me anything it is that God comforts, and God provides. It would be my honor to pray for your comfort and your needs.


All the best,

Ashley







 References

Standing in Awe. http://pangjson.blogspot.com/ (accessed May 28, 2012).

Swift, Dannah. How Do Palm Trees Survive Hurricanes? e-How. http://www.ehow.com/about_6643176_do-palm-trees-survive-hurricanes_.html (accessed May 28, 2012).

No comments:

Post a Comment